By: Luke Jones, Published on July 16, 2016 03:12 PM, Last Update on July 31, 2016 12:13 PM
Toronto’s ambitious $80 million Road Safety Plan will move ahead after it was given unanimous approval the city council. It will be the first ever road safety plan in Canada’s largest and most populated city. The plan will run over five years and designed to reduce the number of traffic-related deaths in the Greater Toronto Area. Indeed, the council pushes it further and says the ultimate goal is to lower fatalities to zero.
The Ontario city has more drivers than any other in Canada, and also a very high road death rate. This year alone some 23 motorists, 22 pedestrians, and one cyclist have died on Toronto’s roads. The city has been pushed to fight this problem for some time and the Road Safety Plan is the solution.
KSI collisions are those that result in victims either being killed or severely injured, it is hoped the road safety plan would help reduce KSI rates in the city by 20%.
“Achieving the 20% reduction in KSI collisions goal proposed by the RSP requires a fundamental shift from opportunistic delivery of programs to a more proactive, data-driven, strategic planning and implementation of proposed countermeasures,” said general manager of transportation services, Stephen Buckley last month. Buckley has spearheaded the introduction of the Road Safety Plan.
One of the main differences of the plan will be a speed limit reduction in the downtown area of the city, while safety zones will be created at target intersections.
“The comprehensive nature of the plan entails the shared responsibility, involvement, and commitment of all road safety partner agencies in the City, consideration for all types of road users, identification of the City’s key safety priorities, and the inclusion of a variety of engineering, education, and enforcement countermeasures,” Buckley wrote.